Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sorry about not many posts recently. I went to a conference thing for homeschoolers. It's where you stay in a hotel with a ton of other homeschoolers, and you all pretty much party all day and night.  You get to have lots of fun and meet a lot of new people.
And being a vegan, plus not having oodles of money (it was a five day thing) I couldn't really go out and eat at restaurants all the time, plus I wanted more time with my new friends. So I had to make some food that could be prepared quickly, was portable, vegan, and didn't require any appliances but a microwave and a mini fridge or a cooler. So, what did I make that met so many requirements? well, there was the obvious sandwiches. But I also made some bean and rice burritos, some breakfast burritos, and some calzones, as well as many snacks such as cookies, fruit leather, granola bars, Clif bars, and fresh and dried fruit.
For the sandwiches, I had peanut butter and jelly for PB&Js, lettuce, tomato, mustard, hummus, and veggie meat for the meaty sandwiches.
For the bean and rice burritos, I heated 1 can black beans, 1 can refried beans, and added a little cumin. for the rice I made this, (with veggie broth instead of chicken) and served those on a whole wheat tortilla with tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, and avocado. Then froze them in plastic bags.
For the calzones, I made some pizza dough rolled them into small, thin rounds, put some pasta sauce on half, but away from the edges, then added a tofu ricotta (crumbled tofu, herbs, and spices) and a mixture of sauteed mushrooms, onions, peppers, zucchini, and calamata olives. Then put a little sauce on top, then wet the edges with water, folded the dough over, and pinched it shut. Then I brushed it with oil, poked three holes in it with a fork, and cooked on a cookie pan at 400 degrees until the crust was cooked through and golden brown. And then let them cool, and then put in plastic bags and froze.

No comments: