Monday, September 7, 2009

Strawberry parfaits

I tried to make a coconut cake, which turned out to be a bit of  failure since our oven is still broken, so we got the edges of the cake cooked, and the rest pretty raw. So I took off the parts of the cakes that were cooked, and made a bunch of small, messy cakes on a cookie sheet out of the raw parts. The cakes ended up pretty dense. So we decided to make parfaits with that. 

First I pureed some strawberries, if your strawberries aren't really ripe you may want to add a little sugar. Set it  aside. Then I made a strawberry-yogurt sauce. Mainly with soy yogurt, with a few strawberries, a little sugar, and some thickener, (whatever you have, I used rice flour ) There may have been something else, but I honestly don't remember.

Then I put some strawberry puree in the bottom of several fancy wine glasses, a layer of the yogurt sauce, a bunch of small pieces of cake (Dense cakes work best), some more pureed strawberry, some more yogurt sauce, more cake pieces, some chopped strawberry bits, a slice of strawberry, and a drizzle of the strawberry puree and yogurt sauce.


They were delicious. 
I'm probably going to do something similar with blackberries sometime soon. 

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yum! Looks delish! A good way to salvage the good parts of the coconut cake!

kelli said...

wow - great save! since your oven is not working you may want to check out these raw desserts at carmella's blog: http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/

and heathy's:
http://rawgoddessheathy.blogspot.com/

Jamie said...

Thanks! I already follow those blogs, but thanks for the reminder!