Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Farmer's Market goodies

We went to the Farmer's Market today. It was nice. A little cloudy, but all of the bright and colorful vegetables made up for it.

We got some gala apples. They're nice and crisp, sweet, and delicious. And fairly small, so they're easier to eat. I was planning on drying them, but they're just too delicious, I want the whole dozen all to myself. They were in a bag, and when I got the home, and opened the bag, a strong scent of sweet, delicious apples came out. Yum yum yum. They were $4 for the dozen.

A bunch of pears, also for drying, but they're not quite ripe yet, so I'll do that in a couple days. $6 for eighteen.

Some onions with the greens on top. Four or five I think. They look good, but I haven't used them yet. I'm not sure how much they cost, mom told me to buy them as I was paying for some other things.

Some chard, a big bunch for $1.50. They look good.

A bunch of basil I forgot how much they cost. We're planning on making pesto.

A bunch of radishes. I never have radishes, I always think about it, but then decide not to, since I never have them and I'm never quite sure what to do with them. But they were only 65 cents a bunch, and were a beautiful red color, nothing like what I've seen in the stores. When I got home, I just washed one, and ate it, and got a satisfying crunch from it, and a good taste. I'm still not totally sure what to do with the rest, probably just eat them like that, they're good that way. Also, does anyone know if you can/would want to eat the radish greens?

A big pepper, I don't remember the price. Will probably end up on some pizzas tomorrow.

A big head of purple cauliflower. $1.50 per pound I believe? Maybe. I was going to get a pretty small yellow head, but then I realized the last purple cauliflower sitting there. I've always wanted to try some purple cauliflower. I wonder if it tastes any different, or if it's just the color... I'm thinking it'll go in some sort of curry thing tonight... That or we'll have the pesto.

I got all of that for $18.60. Definitely cheaper than the grocery store.

Mom also got some cherry tomatoes, I don't know how much they cost.

I've been snacking on apples, cherry tomatoes, and radishes since I got back. :)

2 comments:

Tom Bailey said...

As a vegan I wake up every morning and say... what can I deprive myself of today?

Great blog that highlights the challenges of being vegan...

Tom Bailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.