Monday, July 27, 2009

Friend's birthday party

So my friend had a birthday party. It was a lot of fun. She said I should bring my own food because there probably wouldn't be any vegan food. Which didn't bother me. I like cooking, and as the vegan it's my responsibility. It was a sleep-over, so I brought three meals. Plus I brought her some cupcakes.
I thought I might get jealous of other people's food, so I figured I'd trump them. So I made some sushi for my lunch.
 
I used up all of the seaweed, so there were a few with the soypapers. This time I sliced one of the papers, and used the strips to gently tie the handrolls closed. That worked okay. You have to be very gentle though. 
You may be thinking that this is a lot for one person, but I figured I'd share a few with other people.

But it turned out that her parents were nice enough to have vegan options for lunch. But I mostly ate the sushi, since I really like sushi.

Then for dinner, I brought two black bean and Spanish rice burritoes, with some salsa, tomatoes, and avocado. But again, they were really nice, and got some vegan hotdogs as well as regular ones.

For breakfast, I brought some strawberry soy yogurt and an Oddwala bar. But again, they made vegan waffles. It was extremely nice of them. I ate the waffles, and ate the yogurt and bar as snacks later.

A week or so before the party, I handed the birthday girl Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, and had her pick two kinds of cupcakes for me to make her. She chose the "Sexy low-fat vanilla cupcakes with berries" and the green tea cupcakes. I asked her how many she wanted, and she said only a dozen each. I didn't think that would be enough, since with my friends, if I put two dozen cupcakes on a table, they would be gone within half an hour. Yet somehow. Even though the recipes said they would make two dozen, they only made 19. And still, somehow I had four left. It was really weird. Here are the cupcakes. 
Both kinds. Sorry, the strawberry ones didn't have the strawberries on them yet. I wanted to put them on pretty much last minute so they wouldn't be gross.

The green tea.


Vanilla. Yum.

Anyway, the party was a ton of fun, even though it was ridiculously hot. We spent a lot of time in the unheated hottub, with the hose in it to make it even cooler. 
And since it was a party, there was soda, and chips and stuff, and other things I usually would not eat, that are not very healthy. By the time I was in the car going home, I just wanted to eat some kale and quinoa. Unfortunately, food was already made, and did not include either of those foods. But it was still good, and I ate handfulls of arugula and lettuce. 
Then we went and swam in a river, lots of fun, especially in the heat.

Oh and the last post was the fiftieth post! Woo!

No comments: