Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sushi Hand Rolls Again

I was going to make some more handrolls, but I was almost out of seaweed, so I went to the store, and they were out of seaweed too. But right next to where the seaweed usually is, there were some "Sushi Party Soy Wrappers" (Here's their site) They're very pretty, so I was excited to try them out.
And I must say, I'm a little disappointed. They are very pretty, but that's the only thing about them that is better than nori. 
Here's a photo:
 
First off, they're very small, about the size of half a sheet of nori, so I cut those in half to make two tiny squares, and did it that way. So they're very small, as you can see. The fork is there for comparison in size.
Also, they don't hold together, as you can see. Even if you wet the edges, they won't stick to eachother, so they fall apart.
Then they don't have the nice taste of seaweed, instead they have a sort of unpleasing sweet taste that I don't think really works with the sushi.
The one redeeming quality is that they're pretty, they came in white, yellow, orange, green, and white with sesame seeds.
I don't think that makes up for it though. I'll just stick with seaweed. They aren't horrible, but seaweed is much better.

So after eating those ones, I was still hungry, so with the leftover veggies (Cucumber, avocado, and grated carrot) I made a cucumber salad thing. Just chopped up the veggies, then added some seasoned rice vinegar, lemon juice, and sesame seeds.
Sorry for the rant.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Sorry your "Sushi Party Soy Wrappers" didn't "fill the bill" (so to speak). But I applaud you for being inventive and trying new things! I too prefer seaweed! Feel free to rand and rave all you like... sharing your successes AND failures informs us all.
Love & Light~
OM girl