Saturday, November 14, 2009

Peanut sauce stir fry

I was planning on making a soup or something for dinner, but my brother really wanted some pad thai, or something similar with peanut sauce, or some sort of stir fry. So I told him I could do that if he made the peanut sauce, which isn't hard to do or anything, you just need to keep an eye on it, and I needed to chop the vegetables. Because if I did them separately, it would have taken an even longer time to make.

You need to make four things separately, so two people would be ideal, one person could do the sauce and the noodles, the other person could do the tofu and veggies. This is pretty messy, and labor intensive, so don't make this unless you have a good amount of time on your hands.

For the tofu:
First I cut some tofu into bite sized pieces, rolled 'em around in some cornstarch, and carefully pan fried them. (Careful or they'll fall apart or the cornstarch crust will fall off)

For the vegetables:
While that cooked I started chopping a ton of veggies. I had some of those precut carrot chip things that I used, some snow peas, zucchini that I cut at a slight angle, broccoli, green onion, red pepper strips, and maybe some other things. I made this on Tuesday, so I don't totally remember everything that was in it. Once the tofu is done, remove it from the pan, then start cooking your vegetables.

For the sauce:
Meanwhile you should have someone making your peanut sauce. You need a bunch of all natural peanut butter, chunky if you want there to be chunks in your sauce. Then add some chili paste, vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, and honey/agave,/whatever you use to taste.If you think it needs something else, go right ahead. Mix it all up in a pot on your lowest setting, and stir it often until the peanut butter melts. Once it's melted, turn of the pot, and remove it from the burner. It is done.

For the noodles:
You should also cook up some rice noodles, we used some kind smaller than pad kee mao noodles, but bigger than pad thai noodles. Cook them according to the package directions.


Once your sauce, noodles, tofu, and finally you vegetables are done, add them all to the pan and stir and heat everything up. It's pretty messy and labor intensive, but so delicious!

The photo is really bad, but it was so good!


Here's a photo from Google images that looks way better. This looks closer to what I made then my picture, actually.

No comments: